smtp4dev generating java MessagingException

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:23 AM

I am working on a java server pages appllication that send email.  The production server is a Linux box, but my development environment is Windows 7 (x64).  I needed to be able to test the email functionality so I installed smtp4dev.  The application sends email to localhost.

When I send mail from the application (via Apache Tomcat running on my development machine), the application responds very slowly when I submit the page to send the mail.  The smtp4dev log shows the resulting messages, but the application generates the following error stack trace:

WARNING: Throwable caught: Exception reading response

javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
  nested exception is:
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Sounds as if smtp4dev is closing the connection on port 25 prematurely.  The smtp4dev log shows:

220 localhost smtp4dev ready
EHLO Steve
250-Nice to meet you.
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH=CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN ANONYMOUS
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN ANONYMOUS
250 SIZE
MAIL FROM:<server@YourSportsLeague.com>
250 Okey dokey
RCPT TO:<steve@votingsolutions.com>
250 Recipient accepted
RCPT TO:<steve@upte-cwa.org>
250 Recipient accepted
RCPT TO:<steve@nobelprize4pete.org>
250 Recipient accepted
RCPT TO:<steve@yoursportsleague.com>
250 Recipient accepted
RSET

Any thoughts?  This is unusable for testing this application.

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2011 at 7:00 AM

http://smtp4dev.codeplex.com/workitem/6080

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:31 AM
Is this your way of telling me that this is an unresolved issue? There is no solution to my problem in this thread. Or do you want me to post my message to this thread...

Steve Willett
510 654-7818

On 7/20/2011 11:00 PM, rnwood wrote:

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Hi Steve

Sorry for the blunt message earlier. I just wanted to let you and others know that this is a known issue and that further details can be found in the linked work item. I'll post an update shortly in that work item regarding a fix.

Rob