SSL/TLS encryption crashes application.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Hi guys,

Anybody seen this problem before? I am turning on SSL/TLS encryption on a Multifunction printer to do some testing but as soon as the e-mail transferes to the PC smtp4dev crashes and needs to be closed.

Thanks a bunch.

Luc

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Luc

I believe this is an issue with the configuration dialog. You shouldn't be able to enable "Implict SSL/TLS" without first specifying a SSL certificate. The crash is causes by smtp4dev trying to establish an SSL session without having a configured SSL certificate.

If you want to use SSL you need to provide a SSL certificate that your SMTP client will trust - just configure that in the options screen and the crash should stop happening.

I'm opening a work item to fix this properly.

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2012 at 1:21 PM

This also affects the STARTTLS option.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Thanks for the quick answer. I actually got it to work perfectly now. I just exported a certificate from my Internet Explorer web browser and tied it to the application. Crashes are a thing of the past.

Cheers!

Luc

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM
For anyone else having the issue, I managed to solve it by specifically:
  1. Opening my local IIS manager and navigating to "Server Certificates"
  2. Right clicking on the localhost certificate (IIS Express Development Certificate) and clicking "View"
  3. Clicking "Details" and "Copy to File..."
  4. Exporting the certificate as a .cer file without the private key
  5. Pointing smtp4dev to the .cer file in the Server options